Minimizing our climate change also means understanding and reducing our environmental impact, including with respect to our energy use and GHG emissions. We are actively pursuing opportunities to assess and reduce our energy consumption and emissions along our value chains while addressing risks climate change may pose for our business.
In 2022, we announced a Sustainability Goal in support of this approach: reduce our combined Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions intensity by 25% by 2030 from a 2020 base of 0.158 MT CO2e/MT of production.
In 2022, our combined Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions intensity was 0.156 MT CO2e/MT of production or a decrease of 1.3% as compared to our 2020 emissions intensity baseline. We believe we are on track to achieve our 2030 goal. To meet our objective, our plan is to implement initiatives designed to reduce our overall energy use and GHG emissions, including:
- Continuing to conduct audits of our sites to identify our main energy consumers and reduce consumption
- Investing in technology improvements, including replacing outdated and inefficient equipment and high-energy consuming lighting
- Shifting to renewable electricity
- Cascading energy and emissions reduction goals into our supply chain and R&D organizations to align our teams behind innovative solutions for our own operations and our customers’
- Engaging with third-party energy and emission experts as new opportunities arise